The history of the hospital is closely connected with that of the Medical School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. The Medical School was founded in 1942. In 1947, the AHEPA brotherhood of the Greek-American community decided, in cooperation with the new Medical School of the University to support the establishment of a contemporary hospital in Thessaloniki, that of the AHEPA Hospital. The hospital was founded in 1951 and its operations began in 1953.
The grant regards the procurement of a new ultrasound machine for the Radiology Laboratory. Since 1958, The Radiology Laboratory of the Hospital is the only University Radiology Laboratory in Thessaloniki and research is performed through the Medical School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. The Laboratory has 7 sub-departments, including the Ultrasound Department, the CAT Scan Department, and the MRI Department, among others. In 2016, about 22,550 ultrasounds were performed and 40% of the patients undergoing ultrasounds were aged 65 and older. It should be noted that the Ultrasound Department also offers free ultrasound exams to indigent patients as well as to refugees.